Thank you for choosing to open a Maryland College Investment Plan account electronically. At the end of this process, you will receive a confirmation and reference number for each account opened. Please print out your confirmation and save it for your records. This process should take approximately 10 minutes.
What information do I need to enroll online?
To complete the form, you will need the following:
- Your residential address and email address
- Your social security number and the social security number of your Beneficiary
- Complete name, mailing address and date of birth for your Beneficiary
Please do NOT use online enrollment for any of the following circumstances:
- If you wish to rollover funds from another 529 plan
- If you wish to fund your account with proceeds from an UGMA/UTMA, Coverdell Education Savings Account, or U. S. Savings Bonds
- If a Trust or Business Entity will be the Account Holder
- If you wish to fund your Account with Payroll Deduction
For any of these circumstances, you may download an Enrollment Kit or contact a customer service representative at 888.4MD.GRAD (463.4723), and request an enrollment kit to be mailed to you.
When can I access the Online Enrollment?
Online Enrollment is available for the MCIP 365 days a year and 24 hours a day, except when the systems are shut down for system maintenance and upgrades. When this occurs, a message will be displayed on the Sign In screen.
How do I apply for the Maryland State Contribution Program?
To be eligible, you must meet the following requirements:
- The beneficiary must be a Maryland resident.
- Your Maryland taxable income cannot exceed $112,500 as an individual or $175,000 as a couple.
- You must open a Maryland College Investment Plan and submit your application for the State Contribution Program after December 31, 2016 and prior to June 1, 2017.
- You can apply online or download and print an application on our webpage www.maryland529.com/MDMatch250apply. You can also request an application by mail.
State Contributions are not guaranteed. The State funding for contributions is limited to (i) $5,000,000 in fiscal year 2018, (ii) $7,000,000 in fiscal year 2019, and (iii) $10,000,000 in fiscal year 2020 and each fiscal year thereafter. As with the entire State budget, the Maryland General Assembly has final approval. If resources are insufficient to fully fund all eligible accounts, Maryland 529 shall provide contributions in the order in which applications are received and give priority to applications of Account Holders who did not receive a State Contribution in any prior year. Please note, an Account Holder is not eligible for the State income deduction on their taxes for any taxable year in which the Account Holder receives a State contribution. You should check with your tax advisor regarding your specific situation.
What if I need further assistance in completing this online form?
Please contact us at 888.4MD.GRAD (463.4723). A customer service representative will be happy to help you.
The Hardware and Software System Requirements Necessary to Open an Account Electronically:
- An IBM or Macintosh compatible computer.
- Internet Access.
- An Internet browser with 128-bit encryption.
- A printer to print a record of the new account enrollment forms, disclosure statement and any other necessary forms.
- To download certain documents, you must have sufficient hard-drive space to save these documents.
Click here to start the account opening process.