You can save for college your way!
With the Maryland College Investment Plan you can decide exactly how you want to save. Choose how much and how often you want to invest based on what’s best for your budget and goals. It’s up to you!
- Flexible contribution amounts starting with as little as $25 a month
- Open to children or adults of any age
- Choose from a variety of investment options
- No sales loads, commissions or enrollment fee
- You can use your savings to pay for any eligible college expenses
- Any earnings are federal tax-free when used for qualified education expenses
- Your contributions may be eligible for a Maryland State income tax deduction
- Find out if you are eligible to receive a $250 contribution through the State Contribution Program
Learn more about the Features & Benefits
Is the Maryland College Investment Plan right for you? Find out!
How does the Plan work?
You choose to invest in one or more investment options based on your preferences and risk tolerance. We offer enrollment-based or fixed portfolios. Choose to invest an amount that fits your budget and savings goals. Any earnings on your investment are tax-deferred and are federally and Maryland State tax-free if used for qualified education expenses.
Who can enroll?
Children and adults of all ages are eligible for this flexible plan.
When can I enroll?
Enrollment is open year-round.
How much do I have to contribute?
You can open a College Investment Plan account with as little as $25 per month with automatic monthly contributions, or a one-time contribution of $250.
What can I use the College Investment Plan for?
Savings can be used at nearly any public, private or technical college nationwide for eligible expense such as tuition, fees, room and board, books, course specific fees and supplies.
What are the fees?
There are no commissions, loads, sales charges, enrollment fees, or an annual account fee. Fees such as an Annual Administrative Fees and Underlying Fund Expenses may be assessed. Additional detail on fees can be found in the Plan Disclosure Statement.
Explore our flexible investment options. Choose one or both.
Enrollment-Based Portfolios – Change automatically with your child’s time horizon
- These portfolios automatically adjust their investment mix based on when your child plans to attend college
Learn more about Enrollment-Based Portfolio Investment Options
Fixed Portfolios – Choose an investment option to suit your risk tolerance and goals
- These six portfolios invest in a mix of stocks, bonds or money market mutual funds and are designed so that allocations to broad asset classes remain constant over time
Learn more about Fixed Portfolio Investment Options
Can’t decide which plan to choose? Remember, you don’t have to!You can save for college with both the Maryland Prepaid College Trust and the College Investment plan, or pick the plan that’s better for your needs.
Compare Plans to see the benefits of both plans!
Saving now can make a big difference later
The sooner you start saving, the better. Starting early, and saving monthly may make a big difference over time, and can mean having to save less over the long term to reach your same savings goal.
Use the College Cost Calculator to understand the future cost of college and estimate how much you may need to save to reach your college investment goals.